Go to navigation Go to content
Phone: 203-876-7736
Family Foot Care & Surgery, LLC

Frequently Asked Questions about Children's Foot Care

  • Page 1
  • How can I prevent the spread of warts?

    Warts are contagious, but you can take precautions to prevent spreading warts to others around you. Direct contact with the growth can pass the virus to other people and even other surfaces. Footwear, towels, and moist floors have a particularly high risk for contamination. To avoid spreading the virus, don’t brush, shave, or clip the growth. Throw out or sterilize any nail files or other tools you use on the bump, and don’t share them with other people. Don’t sand the mass with a pumice stone and then use the same tool on other parts of your foot; this may spread the virus to other areas of your own limbs.

    Keep the growth covered as much as you can, and wash your hands after touching it. Avoid walking barefoot—particularly in public places like bathrooms or locker rooms. Don’t share your footwear with others, either, so they are less like to be exposed to your wart. Let our Family Foot Care & Surgery, L.L.C. staff help you eliminate your skin bumps. You can make an appointment with us through our website, or by calling us: (203) 876-7736 for our Milford location, or (203) 288-4055 for our Hamden office.  

  • Why are my child’s feet stiff?

    One condition that can make a child’s feet stiff is tarsal coalition. It happens when two or more bones grow together and become connected by a bridge of extra bone. This genetic condition affects cell growth of the tarsal bones at the back of the foot. It is usually present in the womb, but because babies’ bones are so soft, the problem doesn’t often show up until they are older, when the bones harden during adolescence. The coalition of the bones can make the back of the foot stiff and painful, although some children never develop symptoms at all.

    Besides stiffness and pain, your child may have a rigid, flat foot that makes it hard for them to walk on uneven ground. They also may develop a limp during more strenuous activity. The stress on the joints may lead to arthritis over time.

    If your child complains of pain or limps with activity, contact Family Foot Care & Surgery, L.L.C. for an examination. Dr. Sanjay Patel specializes in pediatric foot care and will find the best solution for your child’s situation. Call (203) 876-7736 in Milford or (203) 288-4055 in Hamden, CT, to set up an appointment.

  • What can I do to treat growing pains at home?

    There are a number of simple remedies for treating growing pains at home. Have your son or daughter stretch before bed, since the discomfort often strikes at night. Toe touches, leg raises, and even lunges are good, appropriate stretches for your child. This may help relax the muscles that are most likely to ache after an active day. When your child does develop pain, take a little while to massage the sore areas. Heat may help as well. When their limbs ache, place a warm pad with a cloth protector on their heels before your child falls asleep. Make sure not to leave it there overnight. We may also recommend child-safe pain medication, particularly if the pain is persistent.

    The good news is that growing pains don’t last forever. Just keep an eye on your child’s limbs. If anything seems abnormal, meaning that the pain interferes with normal play, lasts into the morning, or is accompanied by other symptoms, it may be a more serious problem. Let Dr. Sanjay Patel at Family Foot Care & Surgery, L.L.C. manage your child’s discomfort. Use our website or call us directly for an appointment: call (203) 876-7736 for the Milford office or (203) 288-4055 for the Hamden one.

  • Do I need to treat my child’s flat feet?

    In most cases, your child’s flat feet will not need treatment. Arches that appear flat are actually normal in young children. Babies and toddlers have thick, fatty padding that obscures the arch shape as it develops. Even older children may have flexible, painless flat feet that they eventually outgrow. However, some children don’t develop normal arches as they get older.

    Only some children with low or nonexistent arches have any pain related to the condition. Many are able to walk and play sports without problems. Children only need flatfoot treatment if they complain about pain when standing, walking, or being active—or if their arches are rigid. Most methods for managing pediatric flatfoot are conservative. Shoe modifications and orthotic devices are the most common treatments. They help support the midfoot and distribute body weight evenly over the lower limbs. Sometimes stretching and other physical therapy exercises can help, too, especially if your child also has tight Achilles tendons. If you’re concerned about your child’s flat feet, let Dr. Sanjay Patel at Family Foot Care & Surgery, L.L.C. know. See how we can help. You can call our Milford office at (203) 876-7736 or our Hamden one at (203) 288-4055.

  • Will my child’s growing pains stop?

    For any parent with an unhappy child wondering “will growing pains stop?”—take hope. Your son or daughter will outgrow them with time. Growing pains are a common malady that occur in active children, and they do stop as your child gets older. Each episode of pain can last from 10 minutes to several hours. They are most common in children between ages 3 and 12, though they seem to affect younger children more than older ones. The problem is usually most pronounced if the child has been active or is tired. The condition also runs in families—if you or your spouse had trouble with growing pains, most likely your child will as well.

    If the discomfort persists through the night and into the morning, accompanies a limp, or seems connected to illness or an infection, it may be a more serious problem that needs prompt treatment. If you’re concerned about your child’s lower limbs, let Family Foot Care & Surgery, L.L.C. check them and help you take care of any issues. Send us an online request or call to reach us: (203) 876-7736 for the Milford location; (203) 288-4055 for the Hamden office.