This past year was full of ups and downs, so plenty of people are looking forward to moving on to 2017. A new year feels like a new beginning—a chance to start fresh. That’s why New Year’s Resolutions, especially for health, are so popular. Taking steps to live healthier in the new year is a good aspiration. Why not start with your body’s foundations? Healthy feet allow you to keep moving and maintain some independence. There are many ways you can take care of your feet and ankles in 2017.
Your feet and ankles are designed to handle keeping you upright and mobile every day, but even they need care. The lower limbs are some of the most neglected parts of the body. Just a little extra effort can go a long way toward keeping them healthy and pain-free. Here are a few ways you can take care of your feet and ankles in 2017 and beyond:
- Stretch your feet – Tightened, sore tissues can be uncomfortable, but also contribute to stress and strain on your feet. Stretch your lower limbs every day. Just add this to your morning routine, while you brush your teeth or put on your shoes.
- Wear the right shoes – Stick to shoe styles that are properly supportive and fit your foot shape and size. Poorly fitting shoes can cause all sorts of problems that are otherwise easy to avoid.
- Sit to rest – Your feet need a break sometimes. If you stand and walk a lot, make sure you take time to sit and rest your lower limbs so they don’t get overworked.
- Stand and be active – Sitting too much is unhealthy. If you’re mostly sedentary, get up periodically throughout the day to move around and use your feet and ankles.
- Exercise your feet daily – Basic foot exercises, like ankle circles, toe crunches, and point-and-flexes can go a long way toward conditioning your feet for activities. Try a few every morning as you get out of bed.
Starting the new year off by investing in your feet and ankles is a way to walk into 2017 with your best foot forward. It doesn’t take much to make a difference for your lower limbs, either. Let our team at Family Foot Care & Surgery, LLC help you. You can reach us for more information, or to get started today, by calling our Connecticut offices: (203) 876-7736 for Milford, or (203) 288-4055